Nothing speaks Thanksgiving like turkey as this dish is actually symbolic of the festival.
But we all have had more than our fair share of problems in cooking and grilling the meat. From forgetting the prep to overdoing the prep to even burning the bird in the pellet smoker due to wrong temperature adjustments we have all been there and done that. The hassles the host has to face goes on and on.
Not only during Thanksgiving when the pressure to smoke and serve the perfect turkey is sky high even during normal dinners or even to make a smoked turkey sandwich, but things can also go south so easily, even though grilling is not uncommon and makes for great outdoor turkey brunches.
Prep will take only 20 minutes while the smoking will take about 3 hours max. The dish suggested by bhavna using a pellet smoker contains about 460 calories and 62g protein.
Pellet smokers can give you a great result if you follow the right recipe and the correct method to grill. The best choice of pellets for grilling turkey is a mix of apple and all-time favorite hickory.
Here we tell you the easy recipe to have the perfectly grilled turkey for dinner, lunch and of course Thanksgiving!
Its main components are:
- 15-pound turkey
- Olive or vegetable oil
- Herb mixture(containing rosemary, thyme, parsley)
- 2 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- One bottle of champagne
- Make sure your turkey is thawed properly which you can do by putting it in cold water or refrigerator. It is advisable not to put your turkey straight up in the microwave for thawing.
- For a 14-16 lbs turkey, it is suggested to keep it in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or 3 days in the fridge.
- Start by removing the giblets and neck.
- Thoroughly rinse the bird and pat it try with a paper towel.
- Take the herb mixture you created by mixing all the herbs in water and rub them into the cavity of the turkey and all over the skin.
- Stuff the cavity with Onions and carrots.
- Pour some champagne onto the turkey and make sure that you sprinkle some inside the cavity.
- Now, start to prepare the pellet smoker.
- Don’t put the turkey in the griller immediately as it is better to let it start to smoke first.
- Once the smoke is proper, wrap it up in foil and then put it in the prepared smoker breast side down.
- Sear the turkey well on both sides and wait till it acquires a golden brown colour.
- Grill the turkey for 3- 4 hours.
- To check if it is properly cooked or not the best way is to check the internal temperature by putting the instant thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh( make sure that it doesn’t touch the bone which will distort the reading)
- Remove the turkey from the grill and unwrap it.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes before carving.